Sunday, June 28, 2009

295: Christian's First Birthday


Here are some of my favorite images from Christian's birthday party, held yesterday with many special guests: Kelly's Granny (and her grandmother's sister and her grandmother's best friend) drove up from Tennessee, Kelly's parents drove in from Green Bay, Michelle and Chris came, and various neighbors dropping by to play four-square and offer up a slip and slide. For the adults.

It was as I might imagine a baby birthday might go: the adults ate grilled food, passed the baby about, the presents came out with car-shapes and tinkling toys preferred over clothing and books, the individual cake was demolished and rubbed into an ear cavity, the sugar high was followed by a nap.

I marvel at this little being, how he's changed, how red his hair has gotten, how blue his eyes, how his voice forms word-shapes, something close to communication, how he grins, revealing little teeth thrust through gums, the sugar dots stuck to his cheeks. He's a sweet boy, and he's a year old now, standing up on his own, nearly walking. Oh, and this video makes me so happy! Happy birthday, sweet Iago. I'm so glad that you are here.

And if you want to take a peek at the day itself, here it is in images and words. And, of course, here is where I keep my album of Christian images.

No comments: