Monday, March 8, 2010

431: natural curiosity


Being outside has been so amazingly therapeutic for me, grappling with my body, mourning the loss of young life, battling cabin fever. It's these up-close glimpses I love the most, seeing the early buds after a string of forty-degree days, examining the weft and wane of tree bark.

If you click on the image to enlarge this photo, you can see such very-small fungal growths, five circles nearly dead-center.


I tried to look up what it might be, but found nothing.


And this. Ryan and I wondered what might be living in this little burrow--what could cause such a dirt storm? Last night I dreamed we saw two brown bears, but I wasn't quick enough with my camera to later prove it. We'd certainly know if bears were wandering in our parts, and this is much too small for anything of the sort, though I love my chaotic dreamscape touched on this moment in the woods.

No comments: