Sunday, June 14, 2009

288: summer reading


I love this article from The Washington Post: [they] asked authors which character from literature they'd like to spend the day at the beach with. Here's what they said.

I'm flying out shortly for New Jersey for twelve days, so it's likely to be a bit spotty here, at best. Ryan is staying behind, and my purpose is to watch my sister-in-law's two sons while she and her husband are at work; there's a three week overlap after she's returned to work and he finishes the school year and daycare is ridiculously expensive, so I figured we could relieve a little of that.

I did not get enough sleep last night, which is good, because I should fall immediately to sleep tonight, preparing me for what might be a very long week. My mother-in-law described Jimmy, the three year old, as "greased lightning." Eep.

Reading on the plane: The Pillow Book. I plan to post over here, some of my thoughts. I've also brought along a few poetry books I owe reviews to to various literary magazines and a few fiction books that I hope to read before falling asleep. I don't know what to expect, but it will be a nice change to my routine.

Oh, and who would I spend the day at the beach with? I am thinking Esther Greenwood from The Bell Jar, mainly because that was the first book that made me fascinated with its author. Lynn Cox, author of Grayson, would also be lovely company on the beach--I loved her brief memoir, the specificity, and I think someone who could identify our surroundings would be inspiring.

What about you?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Huck FInn! I'd like to have an adventure this summer.
: )