Saturday, April 11, 2009

251: Cedar Waxwing


We were outside as the sun began to fade, surveying those special spots the dogs leave in our yard--the places where grass is coming back, the places where we'll need to spend a little attention in reviving, and Zephyr was hopping around, needing attention. I looked around to see if I could find something I could toss for him and I caught a bit of yellow--a little cedar waxwing, fitting in my palm, lying belly down on our wooden basement doors. The dogs had nothing to do with this; they weren't even aware of the bird until I held it out for them to sniff. It's beautiful, isn't it? Nearly still-warm, so sad, and we debate what happened--did it fly into the dining room window? Did it consume the crabapples from last summer, wrinkled and clinging to the tree? In a month, that tree will be brilliantly pink, ready for new fruit, and I don't know enough to be able to say if that rotten fruit was poisonous. I tucked it into a paper towel, into a box, and I'm keeping it in the garage and some day, I'll check it again; I'm curious about the skeleton. I wish I could keep it as it is right now though--the feathers are so soft. Indeed, I will learn more about this little waxwing and perhaps you'll see a poem emerge. Songbirds. Is spring really nearly here in Minnesota?

8 comments:

jenna said...

wow so beautiful and delicate

Storyteller said...

It really is beautiful! Are those little orange spikes on its wing? Sad, but really cool!

amanda said...

dead birds :(

Kim said...

what an incredibly gorgeous bird. i hope it had a peaceful ending :(

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through lizardek's today. :)

Just wanted to say how this sweet bird reminds us how beautiful and fragile life is.

Joy

Rachel said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice note! I definitely love what I do...I just don't really feel whole unless I'm outside!

So sad about the bird, but those guys are such beautiful critters! Probably one of my favorite of Thomas Mangelsen's image sets are his Bohemian Waxwing photos. Stunning!

EWH said...

Okay. Everyone else is so nice and sweet, so I'm gonna go ahead and say:

You're keeping a dead bird in your garage? Really? Okay....but a REALLY good poem better come of it :-). Love and kisses. Miss you, too!!!!

Sheri Reed said...

beautiful. i had no idea the tip of the tail was so yellow.